Sunday, June 6, 2010

Do-Division St. Festival and June Jam

What: Do Division Street Festival
Where: Wicker Park Bucktown West Town Ukranian Village does anyone know where the lines for these neighborhoods are?
How much: $5
How to get there: Red line to Clark and Division, #70 bus to Damen

This is my totally hot friend Robin posing for you at the entrance to the Do Division Street festival. Although the weather was foreboding, we managed to escape the rain for all but the last 10 minutes of our trip. She is posing with the security guard because he had a shirt on that said the name of the festival, but there was no sign at the entrance tent. He was really confused about why we wanted his picture. I neglected to mention that I was posting it on the internet.


Sorry, guys, she's taken.
First things were first when we arrived, as I had just spent the whole morning running around at the Gospel Fest and then riding the train. I had some chicken satay, which I forgot to take a picture of due to being enthralled with a story Robin was telling. But it looked like this, without the sauce:





After lunch it was time for some shopping. The fair consists of three or four blocks of typical fair things, like vendors and henna tattoo stands and people handing out promotional frisbees. Dogs are allowed and even encouraged.

When you tire of vendors, there are about 7 blocks of Division street that have "sidewalk sale" racks outside. This is a particularly eclectic part of Chicago and typically regarded as a Hipster's paradise. After visiting some of the shops however, I'm not sure that anyone my age could afford to buy anything here. The plain t-shirts on the racks were "on sale" for $70. All is not lost, however- there are some of my very favorite stores along this stretch of Division, including Renegade Handmade and Elevenses. Renegade Handmade supports local artists. There are Renegade Handmade Craft Fairs all over the states, and Chicago's will be the weekend of September 11. If you like unique, funky jewelry, clothes, accessories, and home decor, then you should come out!

These lovely ladies were living mannequins at the Green Hearts Shop, a fair trade store. They had paper there made of elephant poop!
Since I am looking to move to this area within a couple months, it was really nice to explore and see the sights and the people. I really feel like I fit in here and that I will like it a lot! Speaking of moving, I looked at two apartments this morning and neither particularly struck my fancy.

So, what did I buy? Glad you asked. I was really excited for this fest because last year I saw some fabulous vintage dresses at the sidewalk sale. I don't know if it was the on and off rain or what but vintage pickins were slim. I did walk away with three purchases:

Earrings by Red Ava Designs, Necklace from Jewelry by Kristina, and vintage wiggle dress from a random vendor shop.

After several hours, it started to pour rain and Robin and I decided it was time to leave. But there's lots going on in this neighborhood this summer, including the Wicker Park Street Fest July 31/ Aug 1, the Bucktown Arts Fest Aug 28 and 29 and the Ukranian Village Fest September 11 and 12.

What: June Jam
Where: Roscoe Village
How Much: $5 donation goes to Audubon School
How to get there: eeek! We drove, as we were looking at apartments in the area that morning.

This festival is hardly worth mentioning. There were lots of kids, only one block of vendors, Irish folk dancing going on while we were there, and limited adult activities beyond drinking. The donation went to help a local elementary school, so I'm ok with the fact that we spent $10 to be there for 20 minutes. There were carnival games and a climbing wall for the kiddos. That's about all there is to say for this one. Sixteen Candles is playing tonight if you are still thinking about checking it out.

Pic proves I went!


Next Weekend is a doozy, folks. I'm going to try to make it to the Andersonville Midsummer Fest, Printer's Row Literary fest, Wells St. Art Fair, Old Town Art Fair, and the Jewish Festival in Morton Grove. There's also a Humboldt Park Arts Fair but I don't think I'll make it. Who's coming with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment