Thursday, June 3, 2010

In Other News

The love of my life, my dog Ollie, decided to chew on his foot Sunday night. When I picked him up at my parent's, he was having a three-legged day and was obviously in some pain. Bart (that handsome guy you keep seeing in pictures) brought him to the vet and they cleaned Ollie up and wrapped his foot. Bart warned them that Ollie would chew through that bandage in a hot second, but they insisted that they've had good luck with this new "chew resistant" bandage.

Can you guess what happened next? That's right, Ollie chewed that thing right off, savoring its bitter dog repellent flavor, and I found it in the hall on Wednesday morning. I'm not sure if the storm freaked him out (he spends thundery nights practically sitting on my face trying to get as close to me as possible) or if he just hates having this thing on.

It was too late to take the morning off, so I called in for the afternoon and rented a car to bring him to the vet. I love having a dog, and I love not having a car, but those two things together are sometimes hard to navigate. We got to the vet, they redid his bandage and I had to stand out in the hall with my fingers in my ears to keep from hearing him cry and crying myself. Well, I cried anyway. He got a cortisone shot to help with the itchiness and some new dog-specific allergy meds (until now he had been taking benedryl when his symptoms were the worst). AND he got a big giant hilarious cone that he can barely hold up. On his normal collar he slipped it right off, but I put it on a different one when we got home. It seems to work as he kept it on the whole time I was at work today. He seems more like himself.

I am not making him wear the cone when we are hanging out together and I can keep an eye on him. It just makes him look so pitiful! He can have the bandage taken off as early as Saturday or as late as Monday, and let's hope those little toes are healed.
This is where Ollie sits while I am blogging. That's my leg tucked up sitting crosslegged and the drawer on the desk.
Change of plans for festivals: Mayfest is still on for Friday night. I'll be at the Gospel music festival in Millennium Park right at noon on Saturday, and then at the Division Street Fest with Robin and Melissa by 2:00. June Jam is still on Sunday- probably not until afternoon as I'm going to look at an apartment in Ukrainian Village that morning. The apartment hunt has begun, so exciting! See you at the festivals!

No comments:

Post a Comment