Sunday, July 18, 2010

Ribfest in Uptown

What: Ribfest
Where: Uptown
How Much: $5
How to get there: Red line to Lawrence

I had no idea what I was in for when I set out for Ribfest in Uptown. The crowds were INSANE. Not being a consumer of pork products myself, I didn't anticipate the love of the masses for barbecue smothered flesh. The rib vendors were in hot competition and each was displaying their own trophies and intimidating signs. "I'm from Texas... what county are you from?"


After pushing our way through the lines for food, Bart and I perused the booths. I finally decided to take the plunge and plunked down the money for a henna tattoo. I'm contemplating eventually having a real tattoo on this arm (hi, mom!) so I wanted to see what it would look like to have something there for a bit. I chose a sweet phoenix and settled in. It only took 10-15 minutes to finish it, and lots of people crowded around while I was having it done. It took 30 minutes to dry and then I was supposed to leave the henna on for 6 hours. This meant leaving it on overnight. The instruction leaflet suggested wrapping it in plastic wrap, but I decided that wasn't going to be very comfortable and MacGyver'd up a sweet bandge made of Kotex pantyliners and bandaids. I really wish I had a picture. It didn't turn out nearly as dark as I would have liked it. I suppose I could go back and complain and ask them to do it again, but.... it's hot and I'm lazy.

I forgot to look before we left at who was playing that night, but it was Sister Hazel! And they played those two songs that everyone knows! You know, the ones that go... um... well, when they were actually playing the songs I knew all the words. And they sounded decent live. The crowd was so interesting, from the crazy lady with the coral lipstick and the horrendous blonde weave who searched though a bag for the flyer she wanted to give me for about 10 minutes before deciding she didn't have anymore to the crazy man giggling as he clutched three beers.
By 10 pm, the lines for food were starting to wane at every booth but "Texas Thunder". Demand for them stayed strong until the end of the night.
All in all, the Ribfest was a good time. I think it says a lot that even a non-pig eater such as myself had fun.
After the fest, we walked all the way home to Roger's Park and it was a beautiful walk. Interrupted only by a hot fudge sundae.

No comments:

Post a Comment